Honda Canada Privacy Statement
I understand that Honda, its affiliates, Dealers and service providers collect, use and disclose my personal information for the
purposes of (i) completing my purchase, finance or lease transaction; (ii) maintaining my warranty and customer service records;
(iii) conducting customer service campaigns; (iv) providing me with marketing information; and (v) for legal and other business
purposes. I consent to Honda, its affiliates, Dealers and service providers contacting me by telephone or sending commercial
electronic messages to me, including email and text messages. I can contact Honda at 1-888-946-6329 or 180 Honda Boulevard,
Markham, Ontario, L6C 0H9, and my Dealer if I no longer consent to these uses and to update or correct my personal
Honda Canada Inc. (“Honda”) sells Honda and Acura brand products and services (“Products and Services”) in Canada. Honda is committed to ensuring that personal information collected from its customers is appropriately protected and that their privacy is respected.
- Why does Honda Collect Personal Information?
Honda collects your personal information in order to:
(a) complete your transaction for the purchase, finance or lease of Products and Services;
(b) maintain our records to provide you with warranty or other customer service communications;
(c) advise you of any product recalls, customer campaigns, or customer notices regarding your vehicle;
(d) market products and services to you;
(e) respond to your comments or requests for information; and
(f) meet our legal obligations and other legitimate business purposes.
- What Personal Information Does Honda Collect and How Does Honda Collect It?
Honda collects information necessary for the purposes stated above that will enable it to identify you, including your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number(s), type of Honda products owned, and purchase and repair history of Products and Services. Honda collects this information directly from you, our affiliates, Dealers, service providers, and onboard vehicle systems.
- How Does Honda Use and Share Your Personal Information?
Honda may share your personal information with its affiliates, Dealers or its service providers. Honda may disclose your personal information as required by law, in connection with a government inquiry, law enforcement activities or in litigation or dispute resolution. Honda will only send email, text or other electronic messages to you with your consent (unless you have directed us not to do so), if you have requested information, or if you have a service contract or existing product warranty with Honda.
- Honda Safeguards Your Personal Information
Honda takes appropriate security and other measures to preserve the confidentiality of your personal information and to ensure that it is used for the intended purposes. Honda retains your personal information only as long as necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or as required by law. Honda requires that its service providers with access to your personal information keep this information strictly confidential and they are only permitted to use your personal information for the sole purpose of carrying out services for Honda.
Your personal information may be stored and/or processed or otherwise used by or on behalf of Honda both inside and outside of Canada. If a Honda service provider is located outside Canada, your personal information may be processed and stored in a country that has laws that are different from those in Canada, and where the government (e.g. the United States) may be able to obtain disclosure of your personal information under their local laws.
While Honda encourages its Dealers to fully comply with all applicable privacy legislation, each Dealership is a separate legal entity, independent from Honda, and is responsible for their own compliance with applicable law.
- Online Analytics and Interest Based Advertising
Honda and its third-party service providers (i.e. advertising partners and analytics providers) may use web tracking tools (e.g. cookies, web beacons, pixels and other technologies) to collect information about your online activity over time and across websites. Honda and its analytics providers may use this information to understand how you navigate Honda’s websites and respond to promotional communications. Honda and its advertising partners may use this information to deliver future targeted advertisements to you when you visit non-Honda websites within their networks.
Most browsers can be configured not to accept cookies. However, this may prevent you from having access to certain functions and services on Honda websites. You may also set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow Honda to know whether you have accessed Honda emails and performed certain functions with them.
You can opt out of Honda and its third party service providers tracking your website activities in order to deliver personalized advertising content to you. To do so, please visit the following web pages:
• Ad Choices: http://youradchoices.ca/understanding-online-advertising
• Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/
• Network Advertising Initiative: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
Deleting browser cookies can remove your opt-out preferences, so you should use these tools periodically to ensure that your preferences are up-to-date.
- Questions About Your Personal Information
If you are an owner of a Honda or Acura brand product, you may contact Honda toll free at 1-888-946-6329 (from 8:30 - 5:00 EST Monday - Friday) for the purposes of accessing or correcting your personal information or to advise Honda not to use your information for sales or marketing purposes.
Honda Canada Inc.
180 Honda Boulevard
Markham, Ontario L6C 0J9
Attention: Privacy Officer
Toll Free: 1-888-946-6329
HondaLink Privacy Overview
What Kind of Information We Collect
The HondaLink application may collect information that personally identifies you. Your personal information is captured to help provide useful assistance and support to you in connection with your use of your vehicle. We will not sell, trade, or rent your information to others without your consent.
Why We Collect and Use Your Personal Information
In order to best serve your needs, we gather and retain the following personal information:
1. Information we receive from you, such as your name, province and email address.
2. Information about your use of the HondaLink application and the application environment, including the type of device and operating system used to access the application, the data and time the application is accessed, and the pages and functions of the application that are used.
3. Information we receive from Honda’s third party service providers supplying connected vehicle services, such as mapping services, a Points of Interest (POI) database, and weather services. Honda’s contracts with its service providers require them to protect your personal information.
4. Information about your vehicle, such as location, speed, oil life, odometer mileage, fuel level, diagnostic trouble codes (e.g., when you need to schedule maintenance, when oil pressure is low) and other vehicle status and diagnostic information (whether such information is collected will vary among Honda Vehicle models).
5. Aggregate information, which refers to data we collect about a group or category of products, services or customers, from which individual customer identities or other personal information has been removed. In other words, information about how you use a service may be collected and combined with information about how others use the same service, but no personal information will be included in the resulting data. Likewise, information about the products you purchase may be collected and combined with information about the products purchased by others. Aggregate data helps us understand trends and customer needs so that we can better consider new products and services and tailor existing products and services to customer desires. Some aggregate data is communicated to third party service providers to enable them to provide services. For example, aggregate data about the location of vehicles may be used by Honda’s third party service provider in its calculation of traffic conditions, which are then communicated to you and other HondaLink Navigation users.
We limit the personal information we collect from you while using the HondaLink application and the disclosure thereof to third parties to that which is necessary to, among other things: (1) provide connected vehicle services; (2) measure application activity and improve the usefulness of the application; (3) offer opportunities that we think would be of benefit to Honda owners; (4) develop future services and/or products; (5) facilitate the provision of software updates and provide product support; (6) help protect the safety of you and others; and (7) enable other related uses we may develop.
How Your Information May Be Shared with Honda’s Service Providers
When you use the application, you will voluntarily furnish personal information to Honda, which may then be shared with Honda’s affiliates and certain third party service providers.
How to Access Your Information
We will not sell, trade, or rent your information to others without your consent.
However, we may disclose information which is not identifiable to you as necessary with third parties for purposes of analysis and research in order to better our services. All Service Providers are contractually obligated to keep your information confidential if it is identifiable to you and may only use such information for the purpose of providing the HondaLink service and maintaining your account as we direct. We may also disclose information to individuals designated by you to be contacted in an emergency. These individuals are identified by you during the enrollment process. The list of emergency contacts on file may be changed by calling 1-855-888-5465.
You may update the information you provide us at any time by calling 1-855-888-5465 and, to the extent provided by law, you may request to have access and to correct your file by writing us at our mailing address or calling our customer care telephone number provided above. You may also contact us to withdraw or limit your consent to our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
Please note, however, that due to the nature of the HondaLink services, in some cases withdrawing consent may also require the termination of HondaLink services as some of the systems must generate certain types of data in order to function (outlined below).
Full Privacy Terms
To view the complete Terms and Conditions, please click here.