Honda Canada Milestones
Since coming to Canada in 1969, Honda has had tremendous growth across the country and become a valuable part of the community. Discover some of the most notable milestones in our Canadian history.
- Honda celebrates its 40th anniversary in Canada in April 2009.
- Honda’s 5 millionth vehicle made in Canada is produced in mid-April 2009 at Honda of Canada Manufacturing’s Alliston plant.
- Maclean’s magazine names Honda one of Canada’s “50 Most Socially Responsible Corporations”.
- The 4-cylinder Honda Accord Sedan receives the "ecoEnergy vehicle" award for Canada’s most fuel-efficient full-size car for the second year in a row.
- Honda’s Civic Hybrid receives the "ecoEnergy vehicle" award for Canada’s most fuel-efficient compact car for the 6th consecutive year.
- The Honda Civic receives the “AGL Residual Value Award” for 2009 model vehicles, and individual segment awards are given for the Honda Odyssey, Honda Fit and Honda Ridgeline.
- The FCX Clarity vehicle, which is propelled by an electric motor and emits only water, earns the “2009 World Green Car” award.
- The Honda Civic also remained Canada’s top-selling passenger car for an 12th consecutive year
- Honda opens its 3rd plant (an engine plant) in Alliston, Ontario, at Honda of Canada Manufacturing Inc.
- Honda of Canada Manufacturing becomes Canada’s second largest manufacturer of cars and light trucks [combined].
- The Honda Civic is named Canada’s top selling vehicle, retaining its status as Canada’s top-selling passenger car for 11 consecutive years.
- The Honda Civic wins the J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey Award for the second year in a row (2007).
- The Honda Civic is the best selling passenger car in Canada in 2006 for the ninth year in a row. The Acura RDX (Technology Package) was named the 2007 Best New Utility Vehicle by the (AJAC) as well as the best new SUV/CUV ($35,000 - $65,000).
- For the first time for Honda in North America, a Honda plant, that had only produced light trucks, also produces a passenger car on the same assembly line in Alliston, Ontario.
- Honda announces a new 4-cylinder engine plant to open in 2008 next to the Allison, Ontario assembly facility with an annual capacity of 200,000 engines. The engine plant will employ 340 associates, with a total investment of $154 million.
- Honda Civic and Honda Ridgeline, both built in Alliston, Ontario, win the Automotive Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) Car of the Year and Truck of the Year Awards respectively.
- The Honda Civic Hybrid also wins the AJAC Award for Alternative Power Vehicle.
- Production reaches the 4 millionth vehicle and Honda of Canada Mfg. celebrates its 20th anniversary in Canada.
- As part of its spirit to power dreams, the Honda Canada Foundation (HCF) was launched by Honda Canada Inc. and Honda of Canada Mfg. to enhance the social well being of Canadian communities.
- Production of Honda's first truck, the Ridgeline, starts in Alliston, Ontario. Offering innovation, the Honda Ridgeline features the world's first huge In-Bed Trunk and is only produced in Alliston for worldwide distribution.
- Honda Canada's 3 millionth vehicle built in January.
- Honda Canada announced a new sport utility truck (SUT) will be built in Plant 2, to replace Odyssey which was shifted to Honda Alabama plant.
- Honda's cumulative auto production worldwide reaches 50 million units.
- Honda of Canada Mfg. receives "Leadership Award" for auto manufacturing category at the VCR awards ceremony in recognition of significant reduction targets to reduce environmental impacts.
- 2 millionth Civic built.
- Plans announced to sell Civic Hybrid in Canada: to complement the Honda Insight and reinforce Honda's commitment to the environment.
- On March 5th, Honda of Canada Mfg. is recognized at the Voluntary Challenge and Registry (VCR) awards ceremony as "Best New Submission", along with receiving a "Gold Champion Level Reporter" status for energy conservation.
- 2 millionth Honda vehicle sold in Canada.
- The Honda Insight, North American's first gasoline-electric hybrid is launched in Canada.
- Acura MDX is launched and is only produced in Alliston, Ontario for worldwide distribution.